July 15, 2012

Birthday week with Grandpa Art and Grandma Sue

After celebrating Caleb's first birthday party with both sets of grandparents last week, my parents stayed this week and got to love on Caleb.  Early in the week, I had a sonogram scheduled, so they came along to see their newest grandson. When my mom was pregnant with my brother and I, sonograms were rarely given, so this was a real treat for them. Here is our little guy at 27 weeks, weighing 1lb 4 oz.
Later that day, we went to a farm that is close to our house. Caleb is starting to express interest in animals, and he enjoys watching the chickens, goats, mule, and ducks.
The next afternoon we went to a local vineyard. We tried some wine and enjoyed sitting outside. Unlike last week when it was in the 90's to 100's, this week we had a cold front...in the 80's and it felt good. I did not get any good pictures of the vineyard, but Caleb was in good spirits...and we didn't even let him taste any wine!

The next couple of days, Caleb was a little under the weather. Last week he was getting over a stomach virus for the first couple of days with grandpa Mark and grandma Betty, and this week he came down with a small fever. We thought it was teething at first, but a couple of days later and a trip to the doctor, it turned out to be croup cough. I knew the humidity would be good for something, doc said it was the best thing to get him feeling better.
                                    
He laid low at home with grandpa and grandma for a couple of days, and they said it was a real tough job having to cuddle and take naps with him. That week happened to be especially busy for both Nathan and I, between work and school, and we were very thankful that they could give Caleb the love and care he needed, and that they got to spend so much quality time with him.
Saturday was Caleb's 1st birthday! After a quick trip to the doctor to get diagnosed with croup cough, he was ready to party and enjoy the day. Grandma and I took him to get a cake for that evening...that's one happy one year old! That evening we had another mini birthday celebration with my parents and Caleb enjoyed some ice cream cake -:).
During the day my parents, Caleb, and I headed out west while Nathan was in school taking midterms. We went to Sperryville to our favorite restaurant, Thornton River Grill. It is a tradition for Nathan and I to eat there after hiking Old Rag Mountain, and we love opportunities to share the good food and atmosphere with others.
After lunch, we visited the Manassas Battlefied. We walked around the visitor's center and checked out the old cannons and wagons. Caleb feel asleep on the way over and slept through the entire visit!
That afternoon, we played inside and outside, and enjoyed a nice birthday dinner.
As a side note, our garden is growing, growing, growing...getting lots of blooms, food should be coming soon -:).
My parents left early Sunday morning to head back to Florida. We had a great week with them in town and were so thankful and appreciative of all of their help this week, and for the time they got to spend with Caleb. We love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pleasure was ours. We had a wonderful week with all of you and we were especially greatful for the time we had with Caleb. He is a precious joy. Looking forward to grandson #2 . Lots of love and thank you all for a wonderful week. We miss you.
M&D
S&A
G&G

Elizabeth said...

Everyone looks so happy and like you all had a great time together. Such fun to have your mom in on the ultrasound, special times for sure!

Grandpa Mark and Grandma Betty said...

Love your new homepage family picture. Looks like Caleb had a great time with G & G. Always a good time on Pitner Street :)

Elizabeth said...

I know I already commented, but i love the new header picture... will you send it to my email so I can get it in a frame here. Shukran:)