December 26, 2020

75!

Happy 75th birthday to my dad! He is a very special father, grandpa, husband, and friend and on December 26, 2020 we celebrated his special birthday (remotely). When I think of my dad, I think of his love for my mom, us, flying, and rock-n-roll. He and my mom have been very happily married for almost 54 years, and they have loved and supported each other and my brother and I though all kinds of life over the years. Before I was born, my dad was a pilot in the Air Force Reserves, and his love for flying has stayed with him throughout his life. He has retained his pilot’s license so he could fly and enjoy the skies.



My dad in his old uniform.
My dad also loves rock-n-roll and playing guitar. Growing up, he had lots of guitars, and he enjoyed playing them all. I used to love listening to him play when I was younger, and he instilled a love for good classic rock in me at a young age (though I didn’t appreciate it then). My first concert was Joan Jet, and I remember vividly riding with him in the old Mustang GTs listening to The Rolling Stones, The Cars, ZZ Top, and many other great classic artists.
Above all, The Rolling Stones are my dad’s favorite, and a couple years ago he was able to go to the farewell tour with my brother in LA!

Here are a few old pictures of my dad from when he was maybe a teenager or young adult. I can really see my brother in him.
My dad loves the sun, I see where we get it from :).
My parents love trying new things. For their 25th wedding anniversary, they went to Denver and tried skiing and white water rafting for the first time. Throughout their almost 54 years of marriage they continued trying new things and following their dreams, which has lead them to some exciting places.
My parents have loved living in Hawaii the past 7 years, it was a long-time dream to move here after retirement.  They loved being locals exploring the beauty of the island and slowing down the pace of life. They are planning to move back to Florida later this year, to be closer to family and friends, and will have fond memories of their time in Hawaii.
Grandpa Art loves his grandkids, this is him with everyone as babies. Caleb.
Benjamin
Eliza
With our family living overseas for the past almost 8 years, that has also taken my parents to Kuwait, Jordan, and hopefully post COVID to Turkey. I love this picture of us from his and my mom’s visit to Kuwait in 2014.
As a gift, we had a photo collage made for my dad, full of memories from over the years.
Happy 75th birthday dad, we love you and wish you many more years ahead!


2 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

WOW - LOVE your blog post. Just reading it brought back so many incredible memories. The “young” picture of dad is from his reservoir fishing license from the Bronx - he was 16-years-old. The skiing picture is from A-Basin in Colorado at the end of June. It was the first and only time we went skiing (finally). The “75” collage is a very special memory gift - it will hang proudly in our house.
We are truly blessed with the two greatest kids anyone could ask for, a wonderful son-in-law who completes our family, and our 3-loves who are the apple of our eye - they light up our life.
Love you and miss you all 6 xoxoxoxoxoxo See You In Turkey

Anonymous said...

Very well done and deserving blog post. Plenty of memories and appreciative words. A moving tribute to your dad. Happy birthday Art! Keep enjoying life.

Love, Mark and Betty