November 21, 2015

Sharing a Thanksgiving Meal

This weekend our church hosted a Thanksgiving potluck lunch. I was so excited they were doing this, because so many people in our church are not from America. While there are some American families, there are also people from Jordan, Canada, UK, Bolivia, Honduras, Germany, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, India, Philippines, China, Japan, Korea, and Australia. I'm sure I'm missing some countries, but this is what I recall. It was wonderful to share this tradition with others from around the world. I made a green bean, cranberry, and almost dish (thank you for the cranberries mom P), stuffing, and two pumpkin pies.
 Some of us arrived early to get the room set up.
 We started the afternoon with worship songs and a Thanksgiving message from our pastor.
 We had a lot of volunteers to serve food to the guests.
 The line was long, but there was plenty of food to go around. In addition to traditional Thanksgiving dishes, people brought many dishes from their home countries. There was plenty of food and even seconds to go around.
 After the meal, we played a Thanksgiving and Jordanian trivia game. We were teamed up by table, and I was the only American at our table. Nathan was outside playing with the boys by this point, and it may have been better to have him on the team and me playing outside. Let's just say one of the Korean guys on our team knew American history a little better than me...kind of embarrassing, but we all had fun.
 And then came the delicious home baked desserts :).
It was a fun afternoon of fellowship and sharing our Thanksgiving tradition with our church family!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy you could share this holiday with your fellowship.The food looked great. Happy Thanksgiving.

Mom and Dad said...

What a beautiful and fun way to celebrate Thanksgiving - So nice to share traditions. The food looked delicious. Happy early Thanksgiving.
Love you and miss you all 4,
:):):):)